Transforming The Future
How would you change Centennial College with $100,000?
Every year we pledge up to $100,000 to support to transform the future of Centennial College. All you have to do is put together a proposal for an initiative that you feel will make a difference for years to come. We review all of the submissions and fund the very best ideas. The opportunity is open to all Centennial College students, faculty, and staff.
The funded initiatives of 2016/2017 included the creation of a community garden, a disposable plastic elimination campaign and emergency financial funding for students in need.
The Centennial College community amazed us again this year with a number of fantastic proposals, each of which is designed to positively impact the student experience at Centennial now and for years to come. While it isn’t possible to fund all of your ideas, we are pleased to announce that the Centennial College Student Association will be funding five initiatives that promise to be great additions to the community.
The winners are:
- Energy/Nap pods – With the many competing demands on student’s lives, getting enough sleep is a constant challenge. While naps will never replace a full night’s sleep, a nap here and there can do wonders to get us through the day. We will be installing five new pods between each of Centennial’s primary campuses. Nap pods are in high demand and we received several proposals for different pods and plans.
- Sonocent Note-taking Software – Students that experience difficulties taking notes will now be able to get more help. The ability to take notes on a computerized device will have a big impact on many student’s learning and classroom experience. The software will be deployed through the Centre for Students with Disabilities (CSD) and available at all campuses.
- Trug Gardens – Centennial’s properties have unique outdoor spaces that we can use for many different purposes. The Trug gardens are one example that will help teach us about sustainability and provide a practical source of food right at our door for our food service locations. These gardens will be used on campus by The Union, The Local and Aramark to help provide fresh food where we live, study and work.
- Lockable charging stations – The dreaded red power bar icon catches everyone off guard now and again. Standing beside your phone while it charges is not always the most practical solution. New lockable bays will allow you to charge electronic devices securely at all campuses.
- Student Centre Patio Update at Ashtonbee Campus – Maximizing student spaces is a priority for the CCSAI. We plan to further improve the outdoor space at Ashtonbee through a continuation of the beautification efforts for the patio.
Don’t worry if you missed out this round, we will be making another call for proposals over the summer. You can still Transform The Future of Centennial College!
Transforming The Future 2018
The submission deadline has passed. Thank you to all who submitted a proposal. Keep an eye out for each of these great initiatives as the year goes on.
Submission deadline TBA