by Joshua Delgado, AWC Fitness Services Coordinator
We all know that as soon as the festivities begin at Thanksgiving, that holiday treats and other comforts become peer-pressured habits. Not only are there several major holidays this time of year but the cold weather puts us in the mood for everything from pumpkin lattes to creative baked goods and meats covered in gravy. Not to mention all the reasons we don’t want to leave the comfort of our blankets as soon as the daily high hits 10 degrees Celsius and below. Staying fit during this time of year is not unattainable. Here are some helpful tips to keep active this time of year.
- Enjoy the view. The fall season brings beautiful new colours. Go for a walk, hike or run on a local trail. Even the local beaches have a distinct fall feel and you can enjoy a walk along them without all the summer crowds.
- Buddy up. We all need some motivation at times. Find an office workout partner that will keep you accountable. Join a class or group that has the same goals as you. If you look, you will find many ways to stay active on campus.
- Start or join a challenge. Sign up for a local charity run or obstacle course. Register first so it becomes real. Then set your goals and start working towards them.
- Be active at home! Raking leaves or shoveling snow can seem like a chore unless you look at it like a fitness opportunity. Just be sure to maintain your body in good form so that you don’t hurt your back and are taking breaks as needed.
- Don’t wait for the new year to set your resolution. Get started on your journey now and be ahead of the ‘resolutioners’ come January.
Need help planning your seasonal goals? We have a great team in the Athletic and Wellness Centre prepared to work with you. Contact Guest Services at extension 3511 for more info.