- Stainless Steel Paper Towel Holder (can be found at dollarama)
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Bread knife
- Oven Pan w/ High Edges
- Panini Grill (optional)
- 4 pounds boneless chicken thighs OR 4 eggplants for a veggie option
- 1/2 cup chives
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Chef seasoning (Costco)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tomato (Shawarma Stand Top)
- 1 Onion (Shawarma Stand Base)
- 2 to 3 bell peppers to layer between chicken/eggplant
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves pressed/minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/2 cup water depending on desired consistency
- Pickles and pickled turnips
- Fresh tomato and red onions cut into slices
- Chopped lettuce and parsley
- Fresh Saj bread, or pita bread, or hotdog buns, or a variety of each
Directions for Tahini sauce:
Place the tahini paste in a small bowl and add the lemon juice, crushed garlic and salt.
Combine the mixture using a whisk or fork. After a few minutes of mixing, the sauce will turn into a smooth thick paste.
Slowly add water to the mixture and whisk until you reach the desired consistency.
Taste and adjust by adding more lemon juice, salt or water.
Directions for Shawarma:
Mix all the marinade ingredients and add to your boneless chicken thighs. Massage the chicken with the ingredients and leave it in the fridge overnight for best results.
In a pan anchor your stainless-steel paper towel holder and score your onion with a knife then push it down the holder.
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Start assembly by adding one slice of chicken than one slice of bell pepper and keep alternating until the top.
Top your tower with a big firm tomato.
Cover the Shawarma stand tightly with foil wrap and put the tower sideways in the pan. Add some water with bay leaves, onion wedges, and rosemary in the pan.
Position your pan in the middle rack. Let it cook for 1.5 to 2 hours or until inner temperature of the chicken is 165 F.
Uncover the foil wrap and put the stand on each side to grill/broil until golden brown.
Put the Shawerma stand straight up and with a sharp bread knife cut the chicken and mix with the juices left in the pan.
Open your fresh pita bread, add the chicken Shawerma, toppings of your choice and tahini sauce.
Wrap your pita bread tightly, and use a panini press to crisp the sandwich.